Saturday, August 21, 2010

Waiting For This

So as a treat to ourselves, Katy and I planned a super exciting trip to Chicago before the beginning of our crazy Grad School Lives start. We packed in a lot of different things in the 24 short hours that we were there.










First, we took the train from University Park into the city. Then we got to our hotel room. The Congress Plaza Hotel. So we didn't have a great view of Grant Park, but we had an amazing room! A little history on the Hotel: Built in 1893, the north tower, which we stayed in, was designed by Clinton Warren, with Louis Sullivan and Dankmar Adler serving as consultants. I really loved the old architecture of the building!





















Then we headed north to go to Edwardo's Natural Pizza. Chicago Style Pizza is sooooo good.







After dinner, we headed to the House of Blues for my annual Hanson concert. We had balcony access, which was much better than the sardine-like feeling of the floor, and offered a different view of the stage. There was a local band that started the show off. Hanson had contests for all of their venues to find an unsigned band or artist to perform, which I think is an awesome idea! Then Rooney took the stage. I hadn't heard much of them, but Katy had. They were good, and we've been listening to them since the concert. Then came Hanson, of course. They always manage to put on a great show with a lot of variety. I got some good clips and good pictures. I was very thankful to go back to a nice comfy bed after jumping around and singing all night. Here's the setlist (mostly for Danielle's enjoyment, make a playlist of all these songs and it'll be like you were almost there!):

Great Divide
Waiting for This/Watch Over Me/Rock N Roll Razorblade/In the City medley
And I Waiting
If Only
Been There Before
Thinking of You
Make It Out Alive
Carry You There

Crazy Beautiful
Me Myself and I

Musical Ride
Speechless
Thinking 'Bout Somethin'
Minute Without You
MMMBop
Lost Without Each Other

Give A Little




























Sunday we woke up early and headed back north to Urban Oasis. We scored an awesome deal on a 60 min massage. We walked in and they gave us sandals to wear, then prepped us for our massages. It was so relaxing, we might have to make it an annual trip.









Then we headed to Goose Island. Good lunch and a great flight of beers.



















The Art Institute was next. We could have stayed all day, but we managed to get out of there and do some shopping on Michigan Ave. Then we did the most miraculous thing. We walked the mile and a half of Michigan Ave, dodging pedestrians and practically at a slight jog to make it back to our hotel to pick up our stuff and make it to the train station with 4 minutes to spare.










One of the best weekends in Chicago I've ever had. And now it's time to get to the stress of school. I've made it through Orientation and classes start on Monday. It's going to be interesting, for sure. I feel a little overwhelmed, but I think it will be good! And if I have time, I'll be updating the blog with projects that I'm working on!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome trip!!! Rooney's pretty good, now I've gotta go dig up some old cds ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you girls sure know how to pack in a ton of fun. Glad you had a great trip before school started.

    ReplyDelete