Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Wednesday Workings Champaign Style

Welcome back to my Wednesday Workings. I really liked sharing the progress of the projects that I was working on at Judson. Since moving back and going back to work at the bank, I haven't had a lot of projects to do. That will soon change in 7 short weeks with the beginning of school.

But for now, I had some time to work on things for our new apartment.

First, my dresser. I found an old dresser that someone was giving away, so I decided to do a little artistry to the top. I picked a Celtic design and traced it onto the four corners of the top of the dresser, then using a Dremel, I etched off wood veneer and exposed the particle board.


My next project was a welcome sign for our new place. We were both reading Lord of the Rings at the time, and came across the phrase 'Mae Govannen' in Elvish. It means Well Met. So I looked up the Elvish Font and carved it, again using my Dremel. I used tea and coffee to stain the letters, and the put a clear coat of polyurethane on it. I'm pretty proud of this.


For our dining room, we made a floating poster frame for our Map of Middle Earth (side note: I realize that having a Elvish welcome sign, and a Lord of the Rings themed dining room makes us just a tad bit nerdy, but I'm totally alright with that). The frame is made of acrylic sheets, balanced on two lengths of chain, suspended away from the wall, so that it 'floats'.


We took our boring white wall clock in the living room and painted it with blue and orange (wonder why?) using plastic bags for the texture.


Our last project was String Art. We painted two canvases and then used yarn that was dipped in white paint to create patterns. Then we placed the canvases on top of each other and pulled the string out. I like the mirrored look that it creates. It's a nice afternoon project to do, too!

That's it for now. It's been nice to get some creativity going and design stuff again. I can't wait for the semester to start!

1 comment:

  1. Love the string art idea! You should start selling stuff on Etsy!

    ReplyDelete