Friday, July 31, 2009

In the City

So yesterday, Danielle came over to help me explore the city of Elgin. Caribou Coffee, more affectionately known as "The 'Bou" was the first stop. Ahh, their wonderful cold pressed iced coffee with skim milk and shot of caramel, my weakness. I did learn that they do not have frequent buyer cards, which is disappointing since I used to go once a week in Champaign. And Laura, my favorite barista, is of course, still in Champaign.

We saw a sign for a used book sale, and who doesn't love looking through old books to find hidden treasures?? I didn't find anything for myself, but I did get invited to the woman's church on Sunday. Not sure if I'll go, but it was nice to feel welcomed in this new town.


Next stop, Gail Borden Public Library. My goodness, is that building gorgeous!! I signed up for my library card and then went exploring. First of all, this library sits right on the Fox River, it's a brand new building, beautiful design, open floor plan, tons of windows, natural light, just a very peaceful feel to it. I'm sure I'll be frequenting there.



Especially this room: The River Room. Doesn't it just look peaceful, of course, the huge set of windows looking over the river, along with water fountains and the fireplace completely help the serene atmosphere. I'm really excited about this!










Next up, dinner at Nick's Pizza & Pub. It's one of those, throw your peanut shells on the floor type places. Also a highlight, huge deer antler chandeliers. They had a fairly common selection of draft and bottled beers, so of course I went the safe route and had a Blue Moon.












We also saw The Proposal, funny movie! I definitely recommend it, even though it's thoroughly predictable. Before the movie started, Danielle and I were already laughing. They were going through the whole list of features about the theater, ya know, concession stand, number of screens, size of screen, sound quality, blah blah blah, and then they put on the screen 'Size matters, so does sound' Yeah, think on that for a moment, that's classic!

3 comments:

  1. That library is awesome! Hopefully we can come visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto on the library, and i don't like books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the library and i like books.....just cant read at work...

    ReplyDelete