Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Structures 2nd Edition

I've been really busy lately. I'll catch you all up sometime on the rest of my life, but for today...SUNDAY STRUCTURES!!! Today's feature is the Dana-Thomas House, designed by my personal favorite, Frank Lloyd Wright. I have had the pleasure of touring this house 3 times. The last time I went, it was the last week before they shut it down due to cutbacks from the city. But, they reopened it, so many more people will have the experience of a well presevered Frank Lloyd Wright design.

Designed and built between 1902-1904 for Mrs. Susan Lawrence Dana. She liked to entertain, so she had Mr. Wright design an addition to her already existing family home. FLW used the Prairie Style home. The second owner was Mr. Charles Thomas, a medical publisher. He was responsible for maintaining the orginal furnishings and design. He sold the house as a whole to the State of Illinois in 1981 for $1 million.





This place is so cool. In the basement, there's a pool table, a mini bowling lane, and a library full of children's books and toys. I love the colors and the way the interior ceilings create a sense of being in a public area versus a private area. They also decorate for Christmas every year. It's neat. If you're in the Springfield area, I definitely suggest a visit.

2 comments: